Khathutshelo Sibubuni of Happy Boys hooks the ball.

Happy Boys crush Young Fighters


Muungamunwe Happy Boys secured a place in the next round of the Thulamela Mayoral Cup Tournament by beating Hlupheka Young Fighters 0-1 at the Tshisaulu Lwandani Sports grounds on Sunday.

The game was evenly contested, with the teams showing a great appetite for goals. Young Fighters squandered two obvious scoring chances within the first 10 minutes of the game. In both instances it was Happy Boys’ keeper, Khuliso Mugivhi, who denied Fighters sure goals.

They threatened to score in the sixth minute when Stanly Rathogwa tried his luck from the 25-metre area with a half volley. Mugivhi stretched to the limit to execute a brilliant save, much to the disappointment of Fighters’ fans.

As if that was not good enough to impress the team’s fans, Mugivhi was in the thick of things moments thereafter. This time around he palmed Fhatuwani Nkhumeleni’s half volley away for a corner kick. No goal was seen during the first half, despite the fact that the teams managed to create numerous scoring opportunities.

Young Fighters lost their original fighting spirit in the last half. That gave Happy Boys the opportunity to dictate terms within their territory.

The goal through which Happy Boys booked a place in the next round of the prestigious competition came in the 65th minute. Riamurenda Mudau headed home, following a corner kick that was taken by Tendani Tshamano.

Happy Boys fought the last 18 minutes of the game with their hands tied behind their backs. This after their left back, Ndamulelo Nesindande, saw red for obstructing Fhatuwani Nkhumeleni just outside the box. The officials and fans of Young Fighters confronted the referee, Mr Nditsheni Sadiki, angrily after the game, accusing him of favouritism.


Khaudule Mangenge of Happy Boys is focused on the ball.


To leave a comment you need to login / register first

Read: 289

Date:28 March 2019 - By: Frank Mavhungu

Frank Mavhungu

Frank is a Human Resources Manager at the Department of Public Works in Limpopo. He is the longest serving correspondent of the Mirror, having joined us at the end of 1990.  He mainly writes sports reports and resides at Tsianda Village. In 2004, Frank won the National Castle League Award, an award for the best reporter in the SAB league in South Africa.



You may also be interested in these:



Recent Articles