Ronewa Sadiki of United Brothers hooks the ball and Tshilariande Phalanndwa of Rangers pulls him back.     

United Brothers scrape through


Mudaswali United Brothers secured a place in the next round of the MTG KO competition by beating Vhutalu Mountain Rangers 1-0 at the Kbubvi Benjies grounds on Sunday.

The game was evenly contested, with the defenders from both sides performing overtime duties. United Brothers were the first to knock on the opposition's door. This happened in the eighth minute when their right winger, Itani Mphaga, went loose from the centre of the park and shot wide from the edge of the box. That was a wake-up call to the Rangers players.

They responded by regrouping from behind, with their midfielders distributing some killer passes to the strikers. The Mukumbani-based referee, Mr Azwihangwisi Raliwedza, flashed the first yellow card in the 19th minute. Azwihangwisi Tshimbudzi of United Brothers was reprimanded for tackling Vhahangwele Nyadzani from behind.

Rendani Gandamipfa, the Rangers’ keeper, made his presence felt two minutes later.

Mulalo Rasivhetshele of United Brothers tried his luck with a half volley from the 25-meter area. Gandamipfa braved the shot and palmed the ball away for a corner kick.

The boys were separated from men in the 37th minute. United Brothers were awarded a corner kick that was taken by Fhatuwani Mbevhana and Divhani Neduvhuledza beat the keeper with a header.

Rangers came back strongly in the last half, but finding their way through the defence of Brothers was difficult for them.

Rangers lost hope after they were reduced to 10 men in the 69th minute. Tshilisanani Phalanndwa was given his marching orders for obstructing Ronewa Sadiki just outside the box.

Brothers played defensive football for the remaining part of the game. 


Azwimangadzi Tshimbudzi of United Brothers hooks the ball while Surprise Thagwane of Rangers is on his heels.


Read: 412

Date:21 February 2019 - By: Frank Mavhungu

Frank Mavhungu

Frank is a Human Resources Manager at the Department of Public Works in Limpopo. He is the longest serving correspondent of the Mirror, having joined us at the end of 1990.  He mainly writes sports reports and resides at Tsianda Village. In 2004, Frank won the National Castle League Award, an award for the best reporter in the SAB league in South Africa.



You may also be interested in these:



Recent Articles

Popular Articles