The two men accused of kidnapping and attempting to murder a TVET student re-appeared in the Dzanani Magistrate’s Court on Monday, 5 July.
Murendeni Sithada (25), the victim’s ex-boyfriend, and Azwimpheleli Dzivhani (27), allegedly showed up at the victim’s rented room at Makwarela Location on Sunday, 27 June, forced her into the boot of their vehicle and drove off to Mphaila village. They stopped in the bushes, where the girl was allegedly raped by Sithada and then stabbed with a sharp object.
Thinking that their victim was dead, the two men allegedly attempted to dump her in the bushes. However, a resident of Mphaila village saw them carrying their unconscious victim and alerted other community members, who cornered and assaulted the men. Sithada managed to escape while Dzivhani was trapped in the car, which the angry residents set on fire.
The police arrived in time to rescue Dzivhani from the hands of the community members. He was arrested and admitted at Siloam Hospital, under police guard.
Sithada was arrested on 29 June after he handed himself over to the police. He faces an additional charge of rape.
Their case had been postponed to Thursday, 8 July, for a bail application. The outcome was not known yet at the time of our going to press.
Before their appearance in court, protesters had gathered outside the courthouse, shouting and chanting for the accused men not to be granted bail. The placard-carrying crowd started their march from the local streets before reaching the court.
The chairperson of the Real Man Foundation, Mr Suprice Nengudza, said that the residents were very angry and, should the accused be released on bail, their safety could not be guaranteed. “We have had enough of these brutal and senseless murders within our communities. Our young people do not deserve to die like rats. We marched to tell society that we say ‘no’ to the killing of women. We went there to make a statement - that all killers belong in prison,” he said.
“We have buried many women over the years, and many died under mysterious circumstances. We are here to say, 'enough is enough'. So much innocent blood had been spilt, and we want this to end immediately.”
Nengudza said their area had become a slaughterhouse, and what worried them the most was that most of the reported cases, where people had been killed, remained unresolved. “If these men are granted bail, they might continue with their murder sprees. The community does not want to see the suspects in their village again. We need the justice system to make sure that these men remain locked up forever,” he concluded.
Date:08 July 2021 - By: Kaizer Nengovhela
Kaizer Nengovhela started writing stories for Limpopo Mirror more than a decade ago, in 2 000. Prior to that he had a five year stint at Phala-Phala FM as sports presenter. In 2005 Kaizer received an award from the province's premier as Best Sports Presenter. The same year he was also nominated as Best Sports Reporter by the Makhado Municipality. Kaizer was awarded the Mathatha Tsedu award in 2014.