"They were out to get me," says Rambau

According to former regional magistrate Ronnie Rambau, there was a malicious intent behind the motives that led to his arrest on corruption charges.

This is what the evidence that Rambau’s witnesses brought to the Musina Magistrate’s court on Tuesday, 14 November, boiled down to.

Rambau stands accused of accepting a bribe to influence a court case. He appeared together with his co-accused, ex-prosecutor prosecutor Estene Willemse and attorney Tivoneleni Edmond Lubisi. They face charges of corruption and conspiracy to commit corruption. They were arrested during a police trap in February 2010. The three are also accused of receiving bribes in murder and rape cases.

During his last court appearance, Rambau said that the money, which was confiscated when he was arrested, was cash that he had received earlier in the day when he sold a car to someone. Rambau brought the buyer to testify about this in court, but under cross examination the witness could neither produce any proof that such a sale took place, nor could he proof that he took possession of the vehicle by having it registered in his name.

Following this, Rambau asked the court for another postponement as there was one more witness that he wanted to call to testify. This witness, Rambau indicated to court, will come and tell the court about alleged agents within the South African Police and National Prosecuting Authority who plotted to have him arrested on bogus charges.

The court, however, said that Rambau had ample time to state his case and granted the State’s application to close their case. The court postponed the case until 28 and 29 March next year to afford both parties time to complete their heads of argument. In Rambau’s case he must argue why he should not be found guilty on the charges.

If Rambau, however, can get a final witness to testify before then, the court indicated that it will be willing to hear the evidence.

10 Comments

To leave a comment you need to login / register first
    makhosini 4 days ago

Dear Trevor
    When someone makes comments that you do not agree with, it does not automatically mean that his or her views are “nonsense”, I have been following Uncle Sol’s comments and I can tell you, there was nothing nonsensical about his comments, of course I did not agree with him on everything that he has been commenting on since I believe that everyone is entitled to his or her own views. “Nonsensical comments” is when a person promotes prejudices based on race, ethnicity, social background or sexual orientation. Uncle Sol is not guilty of any of the areas mentioned above.

Trevor 4 days ago

Nonsense means something which lacks sense. What is the big deal? I find his comments nonsensical and that is my personal opinion. I am free to express how I feel same as you do, hence your comment. You definition of "nonsensical comments" above is also nonsense by the way.

Trevor 4 days ago

Uncle Sol Mashimbye 5 days ago

Hey dont you understand,you read the headlines and comment or you are programmed only to follow and can not have your own views young man.

Trevor 4 days ago

When you post on a public platform, any person can respond to your post. If you dont want people responding to your posts you simply stop posting comments. Its that simple.

Uncle Sol Mashimbye 5 days ago

By the way are you following my comments since you were planted to do so,you can hardly comment on your own but follow my comments.please don't allow to be used by journalists,where were you before because I was commenting alone.why do you think you are making a meaningful contribution when you wait for me in order for you to respond,Travor please stop what you are doing and per ser I don't worry about your criticism but I'm concerned about your behaviour and tell me where have you ever commented without following me.don't take it personal young man because you will destroy yourself.
    If ever I write something and you feel like following up I will not have a problem but if you behave like you are just a gate guard then I'm disappointed by your actions.and let me tell you I will not stop writing and criticising where the needy arises regardless of what you and your journalist will guard against me.you know what I don't like and I will keep on writing about it until the ink is dry sense or no sense start commenting and follow me up or respond where necessary.

Thanks young man.

Trevor 5 days ago

So you want to talk to your self? No one should comment to your posts? Now that doesnt nake sense even for someone like you.

Trevor 5 days ago

I will challenge whatever nonsense is written by whom ever as long as you are writting on a public platform I will comment to your blogs. It doesnt matter where I have been. What matters is the comment and I shall never be threatened to stop posting on any public platform. The rest of your gibberish about beng used I shall ignore.

Uncle Sol Mashimbye 7 days ago

The wheels of justice are turning anticlockwise,what Mr Rambau is accused of is far much less compared to someone who has sold out country to the highest bidder.I mean there is this #783 which the authorities keep on asking for presentions one after the other,what corruption by Mr Rambau when there is Jacob Zuma who refuse to go to court with 783 charges hovering over his head.I believe all the cases for corruption must have stay of prosecution pending the outcome of no1if justice must be seen to be served equally.the culture of corruption was created and mentored from the top so what?

last edited by Isabel on 2017-12-06 07:27:20
      Trevor 5 days ago

Its good to hear you make sense even if its seldom and far apart on jacob but the rest of your comment is non sense because what you are insinuating is that all the resources of the criminal justice system should be devoted to prominent and larger matters only.

last edited by Trevor on 2017-12-07 12:09:09

Read: 779

Date:03 December 2017 - By: Isabel Venter

Isabel Venter

Isabel joined the Zoutpansberger and Limpopo Mirror in 2009 as a reporter. She holds a BA Degree in Communication Sciences from the University of South Africa. Her beat is mainly crime and court reporting.

Email: isabel@zoutnet.co.za

You may also be interested in these: